by VSOP taproom: This ubiquitous South American sauce is delicious on steak, chicken, fish, pasta or vegetables.
1 cup Fresh Parsley, firmly packed and trimmed of thick stems
1 cup Fresh Cilantro, packed (use can decrease to 1/2 cup of eliminate if you don't like cilantro)
1⁄4 cup Fresh Taragon, packed
2 tablespoons Fresh Oregano, (can substitue 2 teaspoons dried oregano)
3 tablespoons Fresh Chives, chopped
5 cloves Garlic
1 1⁄2 teaspoons Fine Sea Salt
1 teaspoon Fresh Cracked Black Pepper
2 tablespoons VSOP Champagne Wine Vinegar, (or our pinot noir or barrel aged red wine vinegar or honey or serrano honey vinegar)
1⁄2 teaspoon VSOP Cayenne Pepper Oil, (optional)
1⁄2 cup VSOP Extra Virgin Olive Oil, your favorite medium or robust
1) Add all of the herbs you are using, garlic, sea salt & pepper to a food processor. Pulse a few times until roughly chopped...do NOT make a paste!
2) Sprinkle wine vinegar and pepper oil (if using) over the roughly chopped herbs.
3) With the food processor running, slowly pour in the Extra Virgin Olive Oil in a steady stream to emulisfy. Taste and re-season if necessary. Enjoy! Serve immediately or refrigerate. If chilled, return to room temperature before serving. Can keep for a few days.
Haven't been subscribing to Flavors
for the last 10 years? That's okay! Here are some of the covers you've missed, but don't miss any more, Subscribe
The Alpharetta Convention and Visitors Bureau (CVB) is excited to announce its sponsorship of the 2013 Craft Beer Festival and 5K Road Race in downtown Alpharetta on June 22, 2013. The festival will take place from 6 p.m. - 11:30 p.m. with beer, live music and entertainment with the race beginning at 8 p.m. Craft Beer Festival
Over 100 craft beer vendors from around the U.S. will line the streets of downtown Alpharetta for the huge street party which will begin 6 p.m. with live music from Rock ‘n Roll Band, Salt Road Band. Entry to the festival is $10 and will get you a souvenir glass that can be used during the event. All sorts of food will be available for purchase from Olde Blind Dog Irish Pub. Beer tickets can be purchased for $1 each and one ticket gets you a four ounce tasting at any of the beer vendor tents. Stroll the streets and participate in a craft brewing seminar by Blind Murphy’s Craft Beer Market or sit back and enjoy the band and live entertainment. 5K Road Race
With the Craft Beer Festival continuing, the 5K Road Race will begin at 8 p.m. at the Corner Deli. Registration for the race is $30 before June 14 and $35 after June 14 and the day of the race from 6- 7:30 p.m. All runners will receive a race t-shirt and a free beer from Sierra Nevada to celebrate their finish. After being cheered on by festival-goers upon crossing the finish line, stay for the after party which will continue until 11:30 p.m. with live music and entertainment.
Post-Race After Party – Stay after to enjoy the Craft Beer Festival, live music and entertainment! Every 5K participant of legal age will receive one free beer!
For more information about the event or for a listing of awesome things to do in Alpharetta visit www.awesomealpharetta.com
11655 Haynes Bridge Rd
Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
Photography by: Sara Craig-Goodell
Try using Escarole in this tasty salad instead of the usual salad greens.
1 cup Pecans, toasted & chopped
1⁄2 cup Plain Yogurt
1 TBS VSOP Maple Aged Dark Balsamic Vinegar
1 TBS VSOP Sherry Reserva Wine Vinegar
1⁄2 tsp Smoked Paprika
1⁄2 tsp Fine Sea Salt
pinch Fresh Cracked Black Pepper, to taste
1 head Escarole, cored & coarsely chopped
1 large Granny Smith Apple, halved, cored & thinly sliced
1 medium Red Onion, halved & thinly sliced
1⁄4 cup Fresh Mint, chopped, (or flat leaf parsley)
1) Spread the pecans in a large dry skillet and toast over medium heat for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring and watching carefully so they do not burn. Transfer to a plate to cool. Once fully cooled roughly chop and set aside.
2) Combine the yogurt, balsamic vinegar, sherry vinegar, paprika, salt in a small bowl and wisk to combine. Season with black pepper.
3) Combine the escarole, apple, pecans, and onion in a large serving bowl. Toss with the dressing, sprinkle with the mint. Serve and enjoy!
was able to get this insight into the interesting life of Brian Boitano at his new book signing at Cook Hall here in Atlanta. Brian Boitano is the Olympic Gold ice skating medalist. He also has a cooking series on Cooking Channel named What Would Brian Bointano Make?
(also the name of his book - Lyons Press, 2013). Since he has traveled all over the world, he developed an interest in all types of cultures and cuisines. He loves to cook and entertain most of all and this cookbook are recipes from his favorite food and memories of family and friends get-togethers. He likes simple, healthful recipes with a dash of "intriguing flavors" (this info is on the jacket of his book.) Visit his website at www.brianboitano.com
or twitter (@BrianBoitano) and Facebook (facebook.com/brianboitano
Put your apron on and prepare to dig your hands into one of Sugo’s
iconic dishes as you learn how to make Meatball al Sugo from the master himself. Mr. C will entertain you with stories from the family’s past and instruct you how and why each step is important to the dish. After the class you’ll enjoy the dish you made served atop fresh hand-made pasta with tomato basil sauce.
Monday, May 20th
7:00pm | $39 per person which includes two glasses of wine and
recipe cards to take with you. (Class size is limited. Tax and gratuity not included). Call Mikki at 770.817.8000
or email email@example.com
for reservations.10305 Medlock Bridge Road
John's Creek, GA 30097
Flavors has the inside scoop for a ton of Mother's Day restaurant specials. In case you were in a food coma for the past couple of weeks, here's your official reminder: Mother's Day is May 12th! Don't forget!
Sugo at Johns Creek will be open from noon to 9:00 pm. All moms will receive with our compliments a pampering skin treatment from Salon Greco, a haircut from J. Michael Salon and a photo session from Kelle Mac Photography.
10305 Medlock Bridge Rd
Johns Creek, GA 30097
770.817.8000The Iberian Pig and Double Zero Napoletana will be open from noon to 9:00 pm. All moms will receive with our compliments a pampering salon service from SalonRed and Spa and a photo session from Kelle Mac Photography.
The Iberian Pig Double Zero Napoletana
121 Sycamore Street 5825 Roswell Road
Decatur, GA 30030 Atlanta, GA 30328
404.371.8800 404.991.3666Imperial Fez - On Mother’s Day Mom will get a rose and complimentary glass of champagne with her meal. The menu at Imperial Fez Restaurant features traditional food from North Africa and nightly belly dancing. They also have a special 5 course chef’s menu for a diverse taste of their menu.
2285 Peachtree Road, NE
Atlanta, GA 30309
404.351.0870Ray’s on the River in Sandy Springs is celebrating all weekend long with Spanish-themed drinks and tapas On Mother’s Day, the restaurant is open from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m., offering a buffet meal all day long. Adults eat for $39.95 each, kids ages 5-10 dine for $19.95 each and kids ages 4 and under eat free.
6700 Powers Ferry Rd.
Sandy Springs, GA 30339
Ray’s on the Creek in Alpharetta is serving brunch from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.for $29.95 for adults and $14.95 for kids ages 5-10. Kids 4 and under eat free. The regular dinner menu is available from 5 to 9 p.m.
1700 Mansell Rd
Alpharetta, GA 30004
770.649.0064 Ray’s in the City serves Mother’s Day brunch from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. for $29.95 for adults and $14.95 for kids ages 5-10. Kids 4 and under eat free. From 5 to 9 p.m. the regular dinner menu is offered.
240 Peachtree St. NW
Atlanta, GA 30303
Cook’s Warehouse is offering five specialty Mother’s Day classes at each of their locations. Click the links for more information, directions and to register for classes.
Fifth Group Restaurants has specialty offerings at each of their restaurants.
- Mother’s Day Tea Hands On for Moms and Daughters (Ages 10-15), 10:30 a.m. May 4 at Midtown/Ansley Mall: http://bit.ly/ZoeDw0
- A Mother’s Gluten Free Feast, 2 p.m. May 5 at Brookhaven: http://bit.ly/WzARv9
- Cook for Mom This Year Hands On, 6:30 p.m. May 6 at East Cobb: http://bit.ly/116xuvV
- Celebrate Mother’s Day in the Kitchen Hands On (for Moms and Kids Ages 8+), 10:30 a.m. May 11 at East Cobb: http://bit.ly/XV4V5y
- Best Baked Brunch Ever Hands On, 10:30 a.m. May 11 at Midtown/Ansley Mall: http://bit.ly/11SfnKk
Sedgwick Restaurant Group will have Sunday brunch and dinner for all of its restaurants including:
- Both South City Kitchen locations will offer 3-course prix fixe brunch menus for $32 per person ($16 for children 12 and under) and 3-course prix fixe dinner menus for $42 per person ($21 for children 12 and under). These prices do not include tax or gratuity.
- South City Kitchen Midtown will offer the special menus from 11:00AM-3:00PM for brunch and 5:00-9:00PM for dinner. For reservations, call 404.873.7358 or make them online.
- South City Kitchen Vinings will be open 10:00AM-3:00PM for brunch and 5:00-9:00PM for dinner. To view these special Mother’s Day menus, click here. Reservations can be made online or by calling 770.435.0700.
- La Tavola will be open for Mother’s Day brunch from 10:00AM-3:00PM and will offer the regular dinner menu that night from 5:30-10:00PM. To view the La Tavola Mother’s Day brunch menu, click here. To make reservations, call 404.873.5430, or make reservations online.
- Ecco will also be open for brunch from 11:00AM-3:00PM on Mother’s Day. They’ll offer a special menu for brunch, but they’ll also offer their regular dinner menu from 5:00-10:00PM that evening. For reservations, please call 404.347.9555 or make them online.
- Lure will also offer a special brunch menu for Mother’s Day. The restaurant will serve this menu from 10AM-6PM. Reservations are available online or by calling 404.817.3650.
Brunch 10:00 a.m.- 2:30 p.m.; Dinner 5:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.
Brunch 10:30 am - 3 pm; Dinner 5 pm - 9 pm
Brunch 11 am - 3 pm; Dinner 5 pm - 10 pm
Open Saturday 8 am - 5 pm in Alpharetta
Saturday 10 am - 9 pm and Sunday 11 am - 8 pm at the Avenue West Cobb
Davio’s Northern Italian Steakhouse Davio’s will be offering a Buffet À la Carte Brunch Menu from 11:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. for $50 per person (tax and gratuity not included) or guests can enjoy and À la Carte Dinner Menu from 3:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. The menus will feature seasonally inspired dishes prepared by Executive Chef Richard Lee such as the Surf and Turf, Filet Mignon, Lobster Tail, Creamy Mashed Potato, Green Beans, Lemon-Tarragon Butter Sauces or the Grilled Swordfish, Celery Root Purée, Asparagus, Fried Hot Cherry Peppers. Leave room for dessert and try the Georgia Peach And Blueberry Buckle, Buttermilk Ice Cream. Reservations are required.
3500 Peachtree Rd. NE
Atlanta, GA 30326
404.844.4810Cook Hall at the W Buckhead will have a special Sunday Brunch from 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. with their signature a la carte brunch menu and a few extra special dishes from their Blackboard Menu.
W Atlanta - Buckhead
3377 Peachtree Road NE
Atlanta, GA 30326
404.523.3600Dunwoody Arts Festival with Moondog Growlers are teaming up with Sweetwater Brewery for the Beer Garden. The event takes place Saturday 5/11 and Sunday 5/12, just in time for Mother’s Day. Check their websites for more information and to purchase tickets.
5064 Nandina Lane, Suite D
Dunwoody, GA 30338